Benefits And Tips For Pilates During Pregnancy
Tips For Pilates During Pregnancy: Whether it’s your first pregnancy or your fifth, each one is a completely different experience. It can be an exciting, nerve-wracking, and vulnerable time for any expecting mother. Keeping physically active is an important component to good health during this stage of life.
Pilates is the perfect low-impact pregnancy workout assuming your doctor gives you the all-clear to exercise. Prenatal Pilates boosts flexibility and balance and prevents back pain by strengthening your pelvic floor and core muscles (your abdominal muscles), which support your spine.
Pilates can be enjoyed throughout your pregnancy because the moves are very easy to modify around your belly or any pain you may have.
Benefits Of Pilates During Pregnancy
- Reduces Back Pain. By strengthening the abdominal muscles you are less likely to develop back pain. Pilates also helps to give you better attention to your posture, which tends to change as your baby grows which further helps to decrease pain in your back.
- Teaches control of breathing. Breathing is a key focal point in Pilates classes and is especially useful for pregnant women to learn. Good air exchange is important for you and your baby. Learning to control your breathing is also beneficial for labor.
- Works pelvic floor muscles. Ont of the most considerable benefit of prenatal Pilates is that you work the deepest core and pelvic floor muscles all of which support your baby. This is noticeable and important for preventing back pain and sciatica while also helping with a quicker delivery.
- Increased sense of relaxation and well being. Its important for expecting mothers to Take some time for themselves during pregnancy since there are so many changes happening in your body and life. Pilates gives you an opportunity to switch off from work and day-to-day stresses and slow your mind down, while you reflect on the physiological changes in your body. Pilates assists the expecting mother in feeling that she is doing the best for herself as well as her growing baby.
- Helps maintain a healthy weight. It is normal and healthy to gain weight throughout the pregnancy, however, if a woman puts on more than the recommended weight she is at an increased risk of gestational diabetes. Doing regular, gentle exercise such as Pilates can help control a healthy weight gain throughout the pregnancy.
- Before starting Pilates classes, consult your doctor.
- Have an assessment of your posture by a qualified instructor before starting to make sure the program is appropriate. Have an assessment of your pelvic floor and abdominal strength by a qualified instructor to make sure you are carrying out the exercises correctly.
- Wear a properly fitted bra and comfortable, nonrestrictive clothing.
- Be mindful of your balance during pregnancy. Don’t get up from the floor too quickly.
- Keep up your fluids and eat a small healthy snack.
- Don’t overstretch your joints. Don’t do abdominal crunches or curls.
- Continue classes with an instructor so the program can be modified appropriately as your pregnancy progresses.
- Monitor your energy levels during Pilates so you don’t overdo it. Avoid getting overheated.
- Don’t lie flat or with your feet over your head in the second half of your pregnancy.
The Pilates During Pregnancy Takeaway
Pilates is a non-impact workout that increases flexibility, strength and muscle tone, and is safe to practice during pregnancy. While most Pilates moves are very gentle and safe, you still have to be careful not to over do it.
The importance of regular exercise is to maintain our physical and mental health. The benefits of Pilates are important to ensure the body is at its optimum to support the body throughout pregnancy, labor and during postnatal recovery.
Contact us to learn more about how Pilates can benefit you, and to view our services and class schedule.